Temporary stay for the purpose of family reunification may be granted to third-country nationals who meet the general conditions required to be granted temporary stay and who are close family members of:
- a Croatian national,
- a third-country national who has been granted permanent stay,
- a third-country national who has been granted temporary stay,
- a third-country national who has been granted protection in line with the provisions of special legislation governing international protection.
A close family member of a third-country national staying in the Republic of Croatia based on a valid stay and work permit granted for a period of one year under the annual quota for the employment of aliens may be granted temporary stay for the purpose of family reunification only if a third-country national with whom family reunification in the Republic of Croatia is requested has already been granted temporary stay for at least 2 years.
Temporary stay for the purpose of family reunification will not be granted to a family member of a third-country national who has been granted a stay and work permit for seasonal work, who has been granted temporary stay for other purposes, and who is a service provider, posted worker and frontier worker.
Within the meaning of the Aliens Act, the following categories of aliens are considered as close family members:
- common law partners,
- minor children common to married couples and to common law partners, their minor adopted children and minor children of each of them, who have not started a family of their own,
- parents or adoptive parents of minor children.
Exceptionally, any other relative may also be regarded as a close family member of a Croatian national, a third country national who has been granted temporary or permanent stay and a third country national who has been granted asylum status, if there are special personal or serious humanitarian reasons for family reunification in the Republic of Croatia.
: family members of Croatian nationals do not have to provide extract from the birth register or birth certificates, certificates of marriage or extract from the register of marriages, as they will be provided from the registry office ex officio.